Friday, June 06, 2008

triggered by a MEME

an answer to yesterday's meme

Unusual skill or talent: I have a very acute sense of color - some times I can almost feel a color

got me thinking

Ever since I was a little kid I've been aware that all of my senses are, well, more sensitive than other people's.

I used to think it was something I was imagining but over time I've come to see that it's just the way it is.

so here I go.... a ramble on my senses...

Touch
The smallest little speck of dirt in my bed will drive me insane, I've been called "the princess and the pea" by some. I won't be able to sleep until I find what ever it is. I hate hotels because the sheets are always "scratchy".
I'd rather hug than shake hands. Troublesome at a business meeting.

Hearing
A friend always use to say that I have JPH, Jewish Peripheral Hearing, in restaurants I hear the conversations of people on the other side of the room. When I was small I'd hate being in crowded places because I'd get so distracted from all of the conversation going on around me. I still freak out a little in groups and at cocktail parties.

Smell
Ask Francis, I'll smell something and determinedly search for the source. Good or bad it doesn't matter. I'll smell it if it's there.

Sight
I already mentioned the color thing, it's more than that. I'll notice the slightest movement, or change in a room. I remember things through vision. ....Say a persons name, if I write it down and see it I usually will remember it. I am also very good at visualizing things in 3 dimensions. and have excellent depth perception.

Taste
I cook, and do it well. I love exploring new flavors, and can distinguish flavor combos in a food.

That's a little of the ramble. It's not that I have synesthesia, where a color is a letter, or a smell, it's more that all senses are heightened , I'm always getting all of the stimulus, everything's in a sharp focus.

Any way , that's what I've been thinking about. and I'm just trying to explain it, to myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me as though you are "awake", and that's a good thing.
I am more affected by hearing; I always want to know what "that sound" is. I also seem to notice lights flickering more than other people do.

Tamar said...

Hi there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and your kind words. It's uncanny, I have many of the same sensory responses you describe. I definitely could have written the "touch" paragraph! I am still laughing over JPH. So true. And yeah, I've got it too!

(I can hardly believe it, two Tamars commenting...)