Friday, June 16, 2006

I have had a busy week.

1
I don't think that I have fully recovered from the flood from upstairs. I think that the problem with the bar isn't being addressed by the landlord (not to mention the leaks!). Today there is suppose to be someone in to work on the back room leak. It's all driving me nuts.

2
I have been involved in getting the project for Toronto started. We are going to have a little blog about the project and we are ironing things out with that. Hey ! Does anyone know how I can get some chat into the blog? Melissa and I are thinking that more than posting to each other we want some type of discussion going on that is transparent to everyone watching us work. I thought maybe chat in the sidebar or something.

3
I have been knitting the socks (they're done but I don't love them yet) ripping and redoing the toe.

4
I've been reading Everyday Genius : Self-Taught Art and the Culture of Authenticity, by Gary Alan Fine. Tina -who remains blogless- recommended this to me and.... Where can I start.

It has got me thinking about both my business and my art.
- if you don't know- we deal in decorative objects and accessories and art. Most of our interest is in Folk art and other forms that aren't a part of the everyday dialogue in art. So this book is about what we do. On top of that it is about the other types of art communities that are marginalized by the "Art Elite".
That includes textiles. I don't know where I'm going with this, but can you see the connection and why this is relevant to me?

I think it also applies to anyone who is knitting as a hobby. Why is knitting undervalued as art? Why is some work art and some work a hobby?

I here-by declare you all are doing art. I should curate a show, I should curate a show about socks.
hmmm.... more to come. My brain is about to explode.

1 comment:

Rabbitch said...

I always tell people I'm an artist. a) it's true and b) it explains why I forget to shower some days.